commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 'End of Life' policy in Jakarta; was Re: [VOTE] JCL dependency versions
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:48:46 GMT
On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 15:26 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:

> I wasn't implying we require JCL 1.1 now, but that when we do, we
> diligently upgrade with each new release (for those components that
> release). Otherwise we have Foo that needs 1.0.2 and Bar that needs
> 1.1 and it cannot be obvious to everyone what its implication on
> needing Foo and Bar together is.

Rahul,

I am fine with (and probably in favor of) all Commons simultaneously
upgrading to a specific version of JCL (or any other common dependency).
In practical terms, though, that would pretty much mean that I
personally stop testing the component(s) I am maintaining against older
versions of JCL, thus rendering them de-facto EOL. Wouldn't it be better
to just come out and declare JCL x.y.z end-of-life / no longer
supported?

Oleg