commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Moerk, Detlev" <m...@konradin.de>
Subject AW: VFS FTP Problem with Text data
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:19:26 GMT

Fax.: +49 711/7594-1504
Email: detlev.moerk@konradin.de

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Mario Ivankovits [mailto:mario@ops.co.at]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. November 2006 23:09
An: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Betreff: Re: VFS FTP Problem with Text data

Hi Moerk!
> I tried to use vfs to get some textfiles from a unix host to a windows network drive
on a regular basis.
> The problem is that the transfer program doesn't take care aobout the
> different CR (0x0A-->0x0D 0x0A) commands between Unix and Windows I found that the
FTP Conection is alwyas started in FTP.BINARY_FILE_TYPE) that doesn't support the conversion
of CR in ftp.

Eventually it is possible to extend the FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder with such an option, though,
another possibility is to use a BufferedReader and a PrintWriter to do the conversation on
"client side", no?
Simply readline the file and writeln it should do the trick too ... will work not only with
ftp and in conjunction with an InputStreamReader you can deal with charset conversion at the
same time ...
Since the BufferedReader will use a (configureable) buffer to read the file there should be
no huge performance penalty.

What do you think?

Ciao,
Mario