commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steinar Cook <stei...@balder.no>
Subject [codec]Implementing support for additional non-english vowels in double metaphone
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:35:13 GMT
I have made some modifications to
org.apache.commons.codec.language.DoubleMetaphone in order to support
the three additional Norwegian and Danish vowels.  The current
implementation at Jakarta does not provide any methods to specify the
language of the input text.

Is it all right to modify DoubleMetaphone to support the Scandinavian
vowels (Swedish, Danish and Norwegian) and possibly other languages
or have I completely misunderstood the idea behind the double
metaphone algorithm? That is, should double metaphone detect various
language constructs automatically or is it perhaps a better idea to
have a factory which returns a double metaphone implementation
appropriate for the language?

Any suggestions?

I would like to contribute any changes back to Jakarta commons-codec,
of course.

Steinar Cook
steinar@balder.no