commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs][all] move vfs to maven 2 to setup a vfs-sandbox
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 05:33:30 GMT
> Hi Torsten!
> > ...so the real question is "is it ok to have a proper component use
> > maven2" ...right?
> hehe .... didn't I ask this?
> Yes, thats the real question!
>
> As a compromise I can maintain the maven 1 build for the core only
> (using the maven 2 directory layout), and a maven 2 build for the
> core/sandbox stuff.
> That also allows me to e.g. build the site with maven 1 as long as
> Commons haven't moved to maven 2 at all.

I think its perfectly fine for individual components, both proper as
well as sandbox, to start moving to maven 2.  We did a lot of work
several years back to get to a common look and feel for the site and a
decent level of build standardization using maven 1 and we are not
quite there yet in maven 2; but I think the best way for us to get
there is to start developing m2 builds, which will force us to solve
the remaining problems.To make it less painful for users during
transition, keeping a working m1 build for some time is a good idea;
but I would recommend making a clean break soon - certainly by the
time you cut the release.  More valuable than keeping an m1 build
around indefinitely is a working Ant build, IMO.

Phil