commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [collections] Generifying Collections
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:48:32 GMT
> I've mulled it for a bit, and I don't think that it's worth it for us
> to try and change package names to make it easier for people not to be
> held up by other entities. If we do that then there will be less
> pressure for those projects to upgrade, and we'll just be causing lots
> of pain for the many to save pain for a much smaller group. Admittedly
> the many get their pain at compile time while the smaller group
> wouldn't have found their pain until runtime if they don't have good
> build practices.

I can support either way but if I'm going to support breaking
backwards compatibility I think we should release minor releases of
all components that are broken by this change, even if they aren't the
latest major release.

My personal preference is to let a few people who care about
refactoring collections perform some major surgery into a new package
name and produce something leaner, meaner and hopefully easier and
more robust to use.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine