commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [collections] Generifying Collections
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:03:17 GMT

> Well, the number is dependent on the strategy we are trying to achieve:
>
> a) using '4' would indicate that every major version will have a new package name, but
then you can't use a major version to just remove deprections (a compatible major version
change)

> b) using '5' would indicate the technology reason for the version. The package would
be commons-collections5-1.0.

> c) using '5' as the commons name - commons5-collections-1.0

d) using '2' would just indicate a "major major" next generation
release. The package would be commons-collections2-1.0.

I'd prefer (d) as then we can have a commons-collections3 in the future
if needed without having it to couple to a JDK version, in case the fork
is not coupled to a new technology brought by the JVM.

Ciao,
Mario