commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Barnes <mark.bar...@coat.com>
Subject [DBCP] Why Not Supported? BasicDataSource.getConnection(String username, String password)
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 16:22:05 GMT
Hi, All -

I originally submitted this to Commons User some time ago, but no reply.

I know that method org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(String username,
String password) winds up throwing an UnsuppoterdOperationException via its delegate, org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.

My question is, can anyone who knows why this was done please let me know?

I've googled and googled for an answer, but have not been able to find one.

Why the non-standard API?

Why methods getUsername() and getPassword()?

Why store the username and password as plain text?

On my current project, placing the database username and password in a file on disk is not
allowed, due to security concerns, so using a Container-managed DataSource is not possible.

My thanks to anyone who can provide information and insight.
---Mark