commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jackson" <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject [math][patch] Mantissa + Characteristic methods for MathUtils
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 03:39:24 GMT
Hi,

I've just been working on some fairly simple code (in any other
language), and realised that I needed some of the most basic methods
available and suprise Java doesn't have them in the base libraries.

These are very tiny, but I can't believe that no-one else has ever
needed to get the mantissa of a float/double before me - if these
exist in some other form please forgive this intrusion.

Adding these would greatly simplify my current code, or if anyone
knows how to get the mantissa without resorting to String manipulation
- even using x * 10^mantissaLength % 10^mantissaLength /
10^mantissaLength is fairly nasty in client code (and you get rounding
errors that way).

Thanks,
Kev