commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Subcomponents
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:17:25 GMT
On 13/09/2006, at 2:48 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 9/12/06, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 13/09/2006, at 9:22 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>> > Subcomponents of Commons components are a bad thing I think.
>>
>> Is there any reason for this? What will moving them improve?
>
> It makes us treat them as real components and not as hidden away
> projects that are hard to know about.

Maybe we are thinking of different thinks. I don't see a module as
being something hidden away, but rather as a part of a larger whole
that is spelled out (eg, JCI's various compilers).

> I think it'll simplify the builds - but I can understand that in some
> ways it'll complicate as there's a higher coupling between these
> components than others. One of the keypoints for Commons is to have no
> surprises in the projects, and a subproject is a surprise to a newbie
> building it (such as another commoner who is not used to that
> component).

It will complicate the builds: the things people find annoying about
moving to multi-module builds (like aggregate javadoc), gets even
more difficult when you separate the builds entirely.

It will complicate the releases: each is now separately tagged and
deployed rather than doing it as a unit, and producing a single
source and binary distro.

Both sound bad, i I understand what you are proposing.

> The need for subprojects will serve as a warning flag when a project
> is growing beyond Commons.

Ok, this I can agree with, and it's the opposite to what you are
trying to achieve above (ie, keep them together but move them
elsewhere rather than tear them apart).

But where does it go next? Jelly and JCI could easily be separate
Jakarta projects, but neither have enough community behind them to
sustain themselves independently (which is probably bad enough within
commons too, though not critical for JCI being in the sandbox).

- Brett