commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Diggory <mdigg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Configuration throws no exceptions...
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:09:08 GMT
On Sep 11, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Mark Diggory wrote:
>> Hello Friends,
>> I notice that the code for AbstractConfiguration eats exceptions
>> that the javadoc claims it should throw.
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/xref/org/apache/
>> commons/configuration/AbstractConfiguration.html#692
>>> /***
>>> 690      * {@inheritDoc}
>>> 691      */
>>> 692     public Integer getInteger(String key, Integer defaultValue)
>>> 693     {
>>> 694         Object value = resolveContainerStore(key);
>>> 695
>>> 696         if (value == null)
>>> 697         {
>>> 698             return defaultValue;
>>> 699         }
>>> 700         else
>>> 701         {
>>> 702             try
>>> 703             {
>>> 704                 return PropertyConverter.toInteger(interpolate
>>> (value));
>>> 705             }
>>> 706             catch (ConversionException e)
>>> 707             {
>>> 708                 throw new ConversionException('\'' + key + "'
>>> doesn't map to an Integer object", e);
>>> 709             }
>>> 710         }
>>> 711     }
>> How is it that this can compile when the method signature clearly
>> doesn't shoe "throws ConfigurationException" ? I thought, maybe
>> its an extension of RuntimeException, but it doesn't appear so.
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
> ConversionException extends ConfigurationRuntimeException, which
> extends the runtime exception NestableRuntimeException (from the
> [lang] project). So it is indeed a runtime exception.
>
> The exception is not eaten, but a more specific message is added.
>
> Oliver

Of course, your very right, I was confusing ConversionException with
ConfigurationException and banging my head against the wall as to why
I couldn't catch it without a compilation error, duh! Thanks for
answering such a foolish question. ;-)

-Mark