commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Surprising large dependency graph
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:59:02 GMT
Boris Unckel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to have a look at the structure and the design of commons
> configuration. Most time I just
> use eclipse, create a new project and download head from svn.
>
> This time it was hard:
> 13 dependent libraries to get src and tests compile clean. I know I just
> could use maven (currently just
> maven 2 is installed) to solve this dependencies.
>
> Is there anywhere a documentation (a picture) which compile time
> dependencies are necessary for
> commons projects? Is there any software architect who controls the
> dependencies to avoid circular dependencies,
> just allow a tree of dependencies and avoid a net of dependencies?
>
> Regards
> Boris

Yes, Configuration needs a bunch of dependencies. Interestingly most of
them are needed for testing, e.g. mock objects, JNDI, hsqldb. Some of
the dependencies like xerces or xalan are only needed for JDK 1.3. On
our dependencies page [1] we list, which runtime dependencies are need
for which specific feature.

I am not aware of any supervising instance, which has an eye on the
dependencies of commons components. On general@ there is currently a
thread about this topic however.

Oliver

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/dependencies.html