commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Mantissa inclusion and copyright issues
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:13:37 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote :
> It looks like the Minpack license is a BSD license with an extended
> warranty and liability section. I'll ping the legal-discuss mailing
> list about it, but it looks fine to me. Just some government
> boilerplate tacked onto a BSD license I think.

Thanks. I'm not subscribed to the legal-discuss list, could you tell me
when you'll have an answer ?

> The Hairer license is as you say, a BSD-like license, so that's fine.

Fine.

> For both cases, we don't need software grants. Instead we put the
> information in the NOTICE.txt file. I presume the original files you
> took the code from had copyright statements at the top?

No, there was no formal copyright statements, just authors lists like
you would find in a mathematical paper. In fact I had to dig around in
the sites in order to find the licences. In Mantissa, I put the text of
theses licenses in the Javadoc at class level and displayed the original
authors names in @author statements.

Luc