commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Diggory <mdigg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Developer Activity in Configuration?
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:59:20 GMT
Yes I am, I've been off on other projects for awhile, but finding new
areas to be involved with Apache lately. In terms of involvement I
just want to take a diplomatic road into the project.

The project I now work on (www.dspace.org) needs to overhaul its
configuration loading to be more modular and plug-able. I'm working
on integrating Configuration into the code-base for this task but
there are some "impedance mismatches", for instance we have
heterogeneous and multilevel delimeters in our configuration:

foo = a, b, c

bar = 1=a,b 2=d,e 3=f,g

while we may rework these formats, it'd be intersting to see if a
theres a way to create a "schema" for a properties files that defines
different "handlers" for parsing the property. For instance:

PropertyHandler foo = new DeliminatedPropertyHandler(',');

PropertyHandler bar = new HierarchicalDeliminatedPropertyHandler([ "

But then we are really getting into the domain of Antlr BNF style
parsers. Ideally I'd just like to see Configuration support the
association of a property name with a specific parser handler
interface so I can write my own custom handlers.

-Mark