commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [collections] Contributing to Collections
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:04:49 GMT
Hi,
It would be useful to attach anything to a JIRA call, as that is an easier worklog than email.

The biggest issue that I can see with this is that [collections] as a project is currently
at the 'full' point, and needs refactoring into smaller units. This should probably be done
as part of moving collections to JDK1.5.

Unfortunately, [collections] has little development time available, so just porting to generics
is a big enough concept, even before considering a new collection like Trie.

There may be another committer willing to volunteer time to this of course...

Stephen

----- Original Message ----
From: Sam Berlin <sberlin@gmail.com>
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: Roger Kapsi <roger@kapsi.de>
Sent: Wednesday, 20 September, 2006 12:42:12 AM
Subject: Contributing to Collections

Hi Folks,

I sent an email last week about contributing a Patricia tree to the Commons
Collections project, but haven't heard back.  The project is fully
voluntary, so I understand that responses may take a long time.  I'd like to
make sure that I sent the offer to the correct place, though.  Is there some
other venue I should be looking at for contributing code?  Should I be doing
this through JIRA?

To recap last week's email, Roger Kapsi & I have developed a Patricia tree
that fits the Map & SortedMap interfaces (and can easily fit the upcoming
Java 1.6 NavigableMap), and we'd like to offer it for inclusion in
commons-collection.  It's currently written for Java 1.5's generics and
licensed under the GPL, but we can easily remove the generics if required
and should likely be able to change the license if necessary.

Thanks very much,
 Sam