commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all][maven 2 configuration]
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 01:29:25 GMT
> On 8/27/06, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I suggest that we make the following changes:
>
> At the top of your pom hierarchy, you can inherit from
> org.apache:apache, and you'll pick up the m2 snapshot repo both in
> <repositories> and <distributionManagement>.
>
>    http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/3
>
> If you're going to define it again, (for example, to set releases=true
> if you're going to deploy non-SNAPSHOT versions there,) then I think
> you should keep the id of 'apache.snapshots' so Maven doesn't think
> it's a different repository.

Thanks, Craig and Wendy!

I now think it is best to eliminate the jakarta parent altogether,
since the only use that I can see for it is what's already in the
apache parent.

I also forgot to mention that I would also propose eliminating the
modules from the commons parent(s), partly to avoid the complexities
that Craig points out, but mostly because I don't see either the value
in terms of use cases or the logical basis for this.

I was a naysayer originally on having inheritence at all, but I have
been convinced that it is a *good thing*, so we will just have to make
sure we avoid pitfalls.

And yes, once we have stabilized the commons parent(s), I agree with
need to vote on and release them like other components.

Is it OK, though, to start with components having dependencies to the
-SNAPSHOT versions of the commons parents and then once these are
stable, release them and update the components, using the setup above
to allow them to build in the mean time?  Unless I am missing some
important things (quite likely, unfortunately ;-), we should be able
to get the parent(s) into releasable shape fairly quickly.

Phil