commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Confluence and Jira client libraries
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:15:09 GMT

> On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
>> David Blevins wrote:
>>> I made a couple libraries for manipulating Confluence and Jira
>>> via  their XML-RPC front-ends.  Currently, I have them sitting here:
>>> http://svn.codehaus.org/swizzle/trunk/swizzle-confluence/
>>> http://svn.codehaus.org/swizzle/trunk/swizzle-jira/
>>> Examples:
>>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SWIZZLE/Swizzle+Confluence
>>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SWIZZLE/Swizzle+Jira
>>> I created these libraries by generating them with perl based on
>>> the  XML-RPC defs for the respective xml-rpc services.  I'm
>>> thinking here  might be a better home than my little project at
>>> Codehaus simply  because at commons there'd be like 100+ people
>>> who'd have access to  improve the library as opposed to just me.
>>> So anyway, is this something people would like?
>>
>> As a general rule its pretty hard to get existing code accepted
>> into commons. I've generally come to the opinion now that if the
>> code is good enough and theres a buzz about it, then the users
>> will find you wherever you're at.
>
> Generally the code still needs work.  It's generated code, so it's
> still rough but by far the best option out there for people who
> want a java client to either confluence or jira.
>
> I had to create it to get some work I was doing done.  Being the
> kind of guy I am I decided it was about time someone just created a
> java version of the entire API rather than just the part they
> needed, so I did.  But now I'm sitting on a heap of code that is
> way more than I personally need.
>
> It works well enough, but to really use it you're going to want
> access to the source.

Status change: i beefed up the jira code tremendously over the
weekend.  It's now far beyond an simple Java version of the xmlrpc
api.  I added all sorts of caching, indexing, autofilling of issue
data from other parts of jira (full status, priority, component,
version, and other data), support for getting issues objects via rss
as an alternate to xmlrpc, and an extra program "jirareport" that's
an executable jar you run and pass in a velocity template as an
argument.

Definitely much more at the finished code side of the spectrum now,
so I'll consider it off the table.

Thanks,
David