commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas De Loof <nicolas.del...@capgemini.com>
Subject Re: [logging] pom for commons-logging-api and building/testing JCLwith Maven 1
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:29:06 GMT

I didn't read the start of this topic, but just my 2 cents about
creating more sub-projects for implementation specifics :
You're suggesting to split the project into modules for log4j, avalon
and so on.
Using maven2 you can create those artifacts as POM (not jars) and keep
commons-logging as a main jar with optional dependencies. The specific
poms only declare commons-logging and required dependencies for a
particular use-case. You can consider such poms as "profiles" for some
typical use of the lib (but "profile" has other meaning in maven2).

I myself use this for my corporate projects : only declare a dependency
to "mycompany:webapp" and you get all required libs for a typical webapp
(typical = the way we used to build webapps, other people may consider
some of those dependencies useless)