commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] maven group ids
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:06:42 GMT
Tomasz Pik wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> Rahul Akolkar wrote:

>> > <snip/>

>> > <snap/>
>> >
>> > Do we want to do this? Shouldn't we transition all of Commons together
>> > (as Tomasz implies in previous post, and just like we did with the
>> > JIRA transition). Suboptimal if folks have to look up which components
>> > have migrated yet, there are different groupIds for Commons components
>> > in the same POM etc.
>>
>> We should do all of commons, I agree, but I think it would be wise to
>> start with one component and see that everything works as expected. Then
>> we do the rest all in one big transition.
>
> Yes, but instead of transiting something, that depends on other commons
> IMHO something without dependencies should be transited first.
> In other words, first thing to be done should be a graph of dependencies
> between various commons packages and those without dependencies
> should be migrated first. I guess commons-lang is a good candidate here,
> not configuration that depdends on many other (not migrated yet)
> components.

What would we gain from this? A transition of component A will not
include updating existing commons-dependencies in component A to the new
ones with the new groupId. That will require a new release of that
component A. If fact we don't even have to wait for a release of a
component to do this.

There is a good reason for *not* picking commons-lang or
commons-logging, two components without dependencies on other commons
components, as the first component to transition. That is that both are
on ibiblio's top 10 downloads list. I had link to it before but can't
seem to find it now, sorry. If we do it wrong there then all hell will
break loose. It'd be better to choose a "medium used" component.

--
Dennis Lundberg