commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [nightly build] m2 support - a little help, pls
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 03:32:34 GMT
On 10/08/2006 1:21 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> I would like to add m2 support to the nightly build script, but am
> still an m2 newbie, so could use a little help.  I thought that
> starting with [csv] would be good, since the migration page lists it
> as "done".   I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1. It seems to use pom inheritence, which I am sure someone will
> convince me is a good thing, despite the fact that my first experience
> with it is a build failure because of it.  How do I find and I guess
> "install" the commons-sandbox-parent?

It's in sandbox-trunks for now

How do we indicate to users
> that they are going to need to set this up for builds to work?

It shouldn't be necessary. If the parent is finalised and released as an
independant artifact first, it will be downloaded from the repository
like any dependency.

Do we
> really need this?

It's extremely useful for reducing duplication and making changes (such
as repository location) easier, and also allows the same for any
generated sites, so I'd say yes :)

> 2. Properties files seem to be replaced by settings.xml.  Is this
> where we designate repo lists?  If so, can someone commit a
> settings.xml.sample?

project.properties is replaced by pom.xml (ie, plugin configuration is
brought in). This is all you should need to commit to SVN, and it can
contain repository references if needed.

settings.xml is the equivalent of ~/build.properties. It should only
need additions if you are a deployer or want to add additional
repositories yourself.

> 3. I assume that the reference to 'minotaur' in the
> distributionManagement section of the csv pom should be changed to
> 'people'?  Once this is fixed, I assume "deploy" will work correctly
> using the ssh key that the script is using to connect to people now.

Should do.

> 4. The dist plugin seems to be gone and the release plugin looks like
> it is really just aiming to deploy jars and tag releases.  Should I
> use ant tasks to roll the distros manually or is there some m2 plugin
> that will do this?

The assembly plugin is the equivalent of dist (but is a lot more
flexible). There is a default descriptor for building source and binary
tarballs/zips, but you can also create your own, describing the layout
of the resulting archive.

Thanks!

- Brett