commons-dev mailing list archives

From Kris Nuttycombe <Kris.Nuttyco...@noaa.gov>
Subject [sandbox][pipeline] The future of commons-pipeline
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:10:53 GMT
Hi, all,

I'm writing to ask for suggestions about the future of commons-pipeline.
The sandbox project was started a couple of years ago when I contributed
a chunk of foundational code; however the project has never developed
much of a community and since I'm not a Commons committer getting
changes into the source repository has been a hassle for me and for
theose kind committters who have periodically helped me out. As a
consequence, due to the operational needs of my group we have continued
development under our own source control and have made significant
improvements to the API and the threading model code that have never
made it back into the jakarta repository.

Part of the problem, I think, is that the code was initially dumped into
the sandbox before the whole incubation process came along. Without the
direct involvement of a committer in the project development, I can't
see much of a future for the project in commons.

So, what do people think? If there's any interest in the project, I have
prepared a patch that can be used to bring the jakarta repository up to
date; the new additions and changes make it much easier to write unit
tests, add a bunch of documentation, and move the project to Maven 2.0.
If not, I think it may be best at this point to take the code elsewhere
and if there is sufficient interest in the future, bring it back into
jakarta through the incubation process.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kris Nuttycombe