commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang] VariableFormatter - pre 2.2
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 20:00:02 GMT
Oliver Heger wrote:
> +1 for the name StrSubstitutor.
:-)

> Well, I guess I have no chance to convince you to get back to Object as
> result type for the resolver interface? Hm, for [configuration] I can
> probably live with this, but it may cause unnecessary conversions.

My review of the original code seemed to show that if there was one
substitution then the input object was returned, but if none or two
substitutions then the string was returned. This just seems like a plain
weird API.

For example "There were ${number} characters", would return the object
matching the ${number} substitution, and dropping the rest of the text!

Perhaps you can point to an exact use case?

Stephen