commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [convert] Project restart ?
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:50:22 GMT
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> 2006/7/31, Kris Nuttycombe <Kris.Nuttycombe@noaa.gov>:
>
>> I'd be happy to donate a little time, if someone could give a report on
>> what the current state of the project is and what needs to be done. Data
>> conversion is a significant issue where I work.
>
> I guess convert is much more about converting one Java structure to
> another. I need data conversion tools as well, but I doubt commons is
> the right place for that.

I think that a key issue with its failure first time around was scope.
Personally, I would be quite comfortable to see [convert] only support
conversion between Objects and Strings and vice versa. ie. a very simple
component.

IMHO, anything else leads into much more difficult design choices, and
leads beyond the range of commons. For example, I know that there is at
least one sf project doing Object to Object conversions already (but I
can't find a reference).

Can we KISS?

Stephen