commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [nightly build] io id failed.
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:47:34 GMT
On 8/17/06, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Phil Steitz wrote on Friday, August 18, 2006 3:28 AM:
> > Hi Jorg,
> >
> > Sorry for the latency.  I have been out of pocket this week.  In
> > answer to your question, I don't know, I just work here ;-)
>
> :)
>
> > Seriously, I think vmbuild.apache.org is a vmware box and the
> > nightlies are running in a Ubuntu Linux image.  Here is what I get
> > from uname: Linux vmbuild 2.6.15-23-server #1 SMP Tue May 23 15:10:35
> > UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Yeah, I think so, too. The funny part about it, that previously the test failed that
assumed, that it could create a quite good number of unique ids within a time period and I
really had a hard time to find a good solution to compensate backward time shifts from the
OS. Now the opposite hapens! This time another test fails, because it simply assumes that
it cannot generate two ids within the same time slice (because the generator is configured
in this way) ... and is fooled by the OS shifting time forward ;-)

> I'll modify the test to force the exception ASAP ...

The lesson appears to be not to get involved with timing code :)

IO's errors are due to timestamping of files on the file system.
Lang's error is in its time package.

Hen