commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [compress] Next steps
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:33:40 GMT
On 8/3/06, C. Grobmeier <grobmeier@possessed.de> wrote:

> i would like to start a discussion about the next steps of [compress].
> Now that the first code has been checked in, i would like to figure out
> what we have to do for a 0.1 release.
>
> Ideas:
> - - simplify the interface as Mario suggested

Simplifying is always good :)

> - - write the delete-features
> - - add recursivly files to the archivers

That can come later I think. If VFS doesn't need them, we can plan
them for a later release is my opinion.

> - - refactor and rename old methods and types in the "legacy" classes

Worth doing before a release.

> - - rebuild java doc?

Do you mean rewrite javadoc?

> Is this enough for a 0.1 release?

0.1 release could be at any point I think - only at 1.0 is there any
promise. However I can't recall what the thoughts are on doing 0.1
releases in the sandbox. I know we're against doing releases until
something has shown that it has community interest. Compress has
yourself and Mario currently; so that's a start.

> Btw, i am not thinking that [compress] is a good name for this
> component- it does archiving aswell.

People know what it means though, and the name has traction. Renaming
just to try and find something generic that can mean compressing and
archiving will be a struggle.

Hen