commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [sandbox][pipeline] The future of commons-pipeline
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:51:04 GMT
On 8/3/06, Kris Nuttycombe <Kris.Nuttycombe@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm writing to ask for suggestions about the future of commons-pipeline.
> The sandbox project was started a couple of years ago when I contributed
> a chunk of foundational code; however the project has never developed
> much of a community and since I'm not a Commons committer getting
> changes into the source repository has been a hassle for me and for
> theose kind committters who have periodically helped me out. As a
> consequence, due to the operational needs of my group we have continued
> development under our own source control and have made significant
> improvements to the API and the threading model code that have never
> made it back into the jakarta repository.

Had no idea that was the history - I thought it was an offshoot of
Struts like Chain :)

> Part of the problem, I think, is that the code was initially dumped into
> the sandbox before the whole incubation process came along. Without the
> direct involvement of a committer in the project development, I can't
> see much of a future for the project in commons.

Yep, the above is definitely the problem.

Mostly a problem with our failure to pull the contributors further
into the project - you've been active on the list for a long time.

> So, what do people think? If there's any interest in the project, I have
> prepared a patch that can be used to bring the jakarta repository up to
> date; the new additions and changes make it much easier to write unit
> tests, add a bunch of documentation, and move the project to Maven 2.0.
> If not, I think it may be best at this point to take the code elsewhere
> and if there is sufficient interest in the future, bring it back into
> jakarta through the incubation process.

Is anyone willing to sign up to be a mentor for pipeline? Take in
Kris' patches and nominate for committership when they think the time
is right?

Hen