commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Confluence and Jira client libraries
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:57:37 GMT
On 8/1/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> David Blevins wrote:
> > I made a couple libraries for manipulating Confluence and Jira via
> > their XML-RPC front-ends.  Currently, I have them sitting here:
> >
> > http://svn.codehaus.org/swizzle/trunk/swizzle-confluence/
> > http://svn.codehaus.org/swizzle/trunk/swizzle-jira/
> >
> > Examples:
> > http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SWIZZLE/Swizzle+Confluence
> > http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SWIZZLE/Swizzle+Jira
> >
> > I created these libraries by generating them with perl based on the
> > XML-RPC defs for the respective xml-rpc services.  I'm thinking here
> > might be a better home than my little project at Codehaus simply
> > because at commons there'd be like 100+ people who'd have access to
> > improve the library as opposed to just me.
> >
> > So anyway, is this something people would like?
>
> As a general rule its pretty hard to get existing code accepted into
> commons. I've generally come to the opinion now that if the code is good
> enough and theres a buzz about it, then the users will find you wherever
> you're at.

Finished code is hard to get in - because then it never grows in
community or gets developed further and remains a black box to the
rest of the group unless they happen to use it.

Finder's a good example of existing code getting a lot out of the
community when it joins (got ripped apart and important bits made
their way into IO).

I'm currently planning to put things like this in
committers/people/bayard and publish on people.apache.org/~bayard. See
what kind of stink I can cause :)

Hen