commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "SCXML/BusinessCases" by RahulAkolkar
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:20:51 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by RahulAkolkar:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/SCXML/BusinessCases

The comment on the change is:
Cosmetic changes, correct reference number for blog link, credits

  Here some Business Stories/Uses:

- 1)Developing a State Oriented Business Protocol.
+ ==== Developing a State Oriented Business Protocol ====

- IBM had BPEL[1] by the time I was looking to solve a problem for my Company when I found
commons-scxml and I realized after been in touch with the creator (Rahul) how well Harel Statecharts
could be to get my task done.
+ IBM had BPEL [1] by the time I was looking to solve a problem for my Company when I found
commons-scxml and I realized after been in touch with the creator (Rahul) how well Harel Statecharts
could be to get my task done.

  The implementation for a State Oriented Business Protocol is not that hard to be done and
basically I did one using a POJO approach. Using some of the libraries from commons like Digester
I parse my static business rules from an xml file. Then, using scxml notation I created all
the logic in terms of dynamic configurations and execution of specific actions.

  Since the project was intended to offer clients the possibility of sending GET/POST HTTP
calls and receive XML as the response I just needed to create a Bridge to communicate actions
comming to my servlet container to the SCXML Engine. It was easy using reflection to discover
which event I had to trigger. Before passing to the SCXML Engine some preconditions can be
chequed in that Bridge. After the control is given to the SCXML some post conditions can be
evaluated by means of action states. Finally from those action states the SCXML Engine puts
the framework in a given State from which only some events will be allowed.

- 2)Developing YAWF (Yet Another WEB Framework)
+ ==== Developing YAWF (Yet Another WEB Framework) ====

- After I developed the above system I came up with an idea that is already explained in my
blog[1], but basically  I am planning to have my clients use just the VIEW part of the MVC
framework I already built using SCXML as Controller.
+ After I developed the above system I came up with an idea that is already explained in my
blog [2], but basically  I am planning to have my clients use just the VIEW part of the MVC
framework I already built using SCXML as Controller.

  This is not just a new Framework for Web development. This is a language independent framework
where the separation of concerns is of course the main reason to go for it. However why I
just do not think about using Sprint or moving into Ruby On Rails for my next project? First
I need State Orientation. Second why I have to study a Framework if with simple POJOs that
are around or you can build by yourself you end up having the needed behaviour with the needed
features.

@@ -30, +30 @@

  [2] http://softwarethougts.blogspot.com/

+ ----