commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jira usage
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:43:23 GMT

One more thing along these lines.  I can't remember where I saw an
> intelligent explanation of how we should use "closed" vs. "resolved"
> in Jira.  I guess a reasonable approach given the above strategy would
> be to wait to close until the fix version is actually released, unless
> the closing is "won't fix" or "invalid" (in which case, there is no
> fix version). Is that right?

FWIW, I can describe how we differentiate these two in my day job ...
developers change the state to "Resolved/Fixed" if they claim to have fixed
it, or something similar ("Resolved/Will Not Fix" or "Resolved/Not A Bug")
for other scenarios, but QA is the one that switches it to "Closed" after
they have verified that the fix works.  In open source, theoretically we
would want the original bug reporter to do that, but it seems unlikely to
happen in the general case.  For Apache stuff, I tend to focus only on
"unresolved" issues, and not worry about the difference between "resolved"
and "closed".

Phil

Craig