commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Nightlies are back...mostly
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:18:36 GMT

> > > The script was not creating directories on the deploy host for new
> > > components, so it failed the first time.  I fixed that and it ran
> > > successfully last night.
> >
> > Thanks Phil.
> >
> > Any thoughts on having the Maven ones do a snapshot deploy to the
> > snapshot repository?
> >
> Would be easy to do, but before doing it, we need
>
> 1) Verify that this is OK from repository@ standpoint. I have sort of
> lost the thread on that list and don't want to do anything
> inconsistent / illegal.  Probably should ask there and get agreement,
> unless I am just out of the loop and others are already doing this.

When we (Struts and Shale) asked, we got back basically "that's what it's
for" :-).  We deploy snapshots to <
http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository>.

2) Need to decide whether we want dated snaps or just overwriting.  If
> the latter, we would need a way to purge old stuff (like the crontab
> that runs on Minotaur that purges out the old nightly distros).

For uploaded artifacts, I historically modified the tar.gz and zip file
names to include the date.  I have the following types of commands in my
crontab on people.apache.org to clean up afterwards (all on one line):

03 04 * * * find /www/cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly -mtime
+7 -exec rm \{\} \; >/dev/null 2>&1

Which reminds me ... I need to clean out the now obsolete lines like this.

3) Ensure that the deploy target hosts are set correctly in all of the
> POMs - maybe modify the script to check to avoid accidental
> deployments to java-repository.

Do the commons POMs all inherit from a master?  That's the easiest way to
record things like repositories in one place, although it requires a release
process for the master POM when it gets updated.

4) Someone needs to remind me (or just patch the script) of the
> correct maven 1 target to execute. (jar:snapshot-deploy or somesuch).

Maven 1?  For m2 I do "mvn install deploy" on each module, to install it
locally and deploy it to the snapshot directory (the latter works that way
automatically because the version numbers are something like "1.0.3-SNAPSHOT
").

5) I either need to get over reservations about signing myself, or be
> OK with no sigs.  Is it OK to deploy unsigned stuff to the snapshot
> repo?   The same actually applies to the zips, tars being generated by
> the script now.

Nightly builds and snapshots are, IMHO, use at your own risk and don't need
signing.

Phil

Craig