commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Dion Gillard" <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jelly] Broken links in tag reference
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:43:23 GMT
On 7/25/06, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> wrote:
> Dion Gillard wrote:
> > The idea with the tag reference was to have a one stop place for all
> > the documentation.
> I thought this was what libs/index.html does.
> It's generated before xdoc:transform

Not very well. It lists the tag libs, but doesn't provide anything
like ant's manual: http://ant.apache.org/manual/index.html ,
especially the tasks frameset.

> > If we can do that with links and by improving the individual taglib
> > documentation, I'm all for it.
> So the correct way for working would be to enrich libs/index.html with a
> link to examples... right? Anything else than unit-tests ??

If libs/index.html included an easy to navigate list of the tags
within the taglib, it'd be a lot better.

> > The problem with the current taglib documentation is that
> > a) it's autogenerated off inadequate source markup
> What's that wrong ?? If the javadoc comments are inadequate, we need to
> make them correct, I think the jellydoc takes precedence of javadoc... or ?

Lack of detail. Check out
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jelly/tag-reference/ant_fileScanner.html
and compare it to
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jelly/libs/ant/tags.html#ant:fileScanner

> > b) It doesn't provide examples and usage info.
> how would you document examples except with unit-tests ??

Snippets for the examples, and better usage info for badly documented
stuff like fileScanner as an example.

If we can merge this stuff into better done JellyDoc, I'd be happy
with that too.

> paul
> >
> > On 7/25/06, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> wrote:
> >> It isn't easy as that, building the site does take a huge time because
> >> of the very many tag-libs.... depending on the maven version this may
> >> even turn out to impossible.
> >>
> >> This tag-reference page makes double usage with:
> >>     http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jelly/libs/index.html
> >> whose links are all correct... why keep it ?
> >>
> >> Rebuilding the site would probably fix it if replacing
> >> tag-reference/x.html with libs/x/tags.html
> >> but do we really need that ??
> >>
> >> paul

> >> except "All

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize" -
Muhammad Ali