commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Nightlies are back...mostly
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:38:21 GMT
> On 7/6/06, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks Phil.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on having the Maven ones do a snapshot deploy to the
> > > snapshot repository?
> > >
> > Would be easy to do, but before doing it, we need
> >
> > 1) Verify that this is OK from repository@ standpoint. I have sort of
> > lost the thread on that list and don't want to do anything
> > inconsistent / illegal.  Probably should ask there and get agreement,
> > unless I am just out of the loop and others are already doing this.
>

> When we (Struts and Shale) asked, we got back basically "that's what it's
> for" :-).  We deploy snapshots to <
> http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository>.
>
> 2) Need to decide whether we want dated snaps or just overwriting.  If
> > the latter, we would need a way to purge old stuff (like the crontab
> > that runs on Minotaur that purges out the old nightly distros).
>

> For uploaded artifacts, I historically modified the tar.gz and zip file
> names to include the date.  I have the following types of commands in my
> crontab on people.apache.org to clean up afterwards (all on one line):
>
> 03 04 * * * find /www/cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly -mtime
> +7 -exec rm \{\} \; >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Which reminds me ... I need to clean out the now obsolete lines like this.

OK, so now I have to add it to mine ;-)

> 3) Ensure that the deploy target hosts are set correctly in all of the
> > POMs - maybe modify the script to check to avoid accidental
> > deployments to java-repository.
>

> Do the commons POMs all inherit from a master?  That's the easiest way to
> record things like repositories in one place, although it requires a release
> process for the master POM when it gets updated.

No, we eliminated the POM inheritence a while back because it made it
impossible to build the projects by themselves.  Should be able to
force this on command line in any case, so this is not really a
problem.

> 4) Someone needs to remind me (or just patch the script) of the
> > correct maven 1 target to execute. (jar:snapshot-deploy or somesuch).
>

> Maven 1?  For m2 I do "mvn install deploy" on each module, to install it
> locally and deploy it to the snapshot directory (the latter works that way
> automatically because the version numbers are something like "1.0.3-SNAPSHOT
> ").

Currently, almost all commons components are still using Maven 1.