commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [transaction] Preparing a release
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:45:32 GMT
On 7/24/06, Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigermann@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I have already uploaded the files for a 1.2 release candidate to
>
> http://people.apache.org/~ozeigermann/tx-1.2rc1/
>
> Not quite sure where to go from here.
>
> Do we need a vote for the release candidate?

Its your judgement call on how long you give people to review the
release candidate before calling a vote. I would typically give it at
least a week before calling a vote for a first RC. If you have to roll
subsequent RC then possibly a shorter timescale depending on the
amount of change and how trivial/non-trivial the changes are from the
previous RC - but again its your judgement call. If you state the
planned timescale and anyone doesn't like it, they can always shout.

> Where to put the files for the release candidate for public inspection?

Putting them in your personal space (as you have done) is the norm.

> Thanks in advance for any hints and cheers

I think the hard part is usually getting a RC to pass a vote -
satisfying the issues raised/nit picks. Once you get through that and
the vote has passed, its just a case of following the "cutting a
release" guidelines:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/release.html

I'll try to review rc1 soon and give you my feedback (hopefully not
much as I committed my transaction nit picks a week or two ago).

Niall