commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [transaction] Release plan?
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:05:05 GMT
On 7/15/06, Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigermann <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > Also what is the minimum JDK version for transaction?
> >
> > I used ant for the previous releases (target package). Minimum jdk is 1.2
>
> Has anybody actually been checking this? Setting those properties has probably
> influence on the compiler (e.g. complain about newer language constructs
> (asserts, etc.) and the generated bytecode), but not on the available API I
> think. Despite bytecode compatibility you might end with ClassNotFoundExceptions
> and NoSuchMethodExceptions when using JDK 1.3+ API.

I just tried compiling using JDK 1.3....

1) The maven build doesn't work because geronimo has been built using
JDK 1.4(compile fails complaining "class file has the wrong version
48.0, should be 47.0" for one of the javax.transaction classes)

2) I got the ant build to work by doing the following:

- plug in alternative j2ee and servlet jars (rather than geronimo)
- change the order of the classpath in build.xml to pick up the
alternative jars before whats in the "lib" directory (i.e. geronimo)
- add an "exclude" for the Jdk14Logger class
- modify FileResourceManager - it uses a JDK 1.4 constructor of FileOutputStream

So it seem that for JDK 1.3 the only real issue is in FileResourceManager.

Another thing I noticed - the build.xml sets the compile target to
"1.3" - so maybe I should switch back the equivalent maven settings (I
added them as 1.3 and then switched to 1.2 yesterday, following
Oliver's comment).

I've changed the build.xml to resolve the JDK 1.3 issues there - but
have left the FileResourceManager issue for someone else to deal with.

Niall