commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vfs] split of vfs
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:07:47 GMT
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>> Then why not split that further and have
>> commons-vfs-bz2.jar etc...
> Yes, this is something Vincent Massol also told me to do.
> The reasons I wanted to go down to two jars are:
>
> *) each jar will have its own release cycle, means, we have to vote for
> each artifact, no? I think the number of mails in commons-dev is already
> high enough ;-)

No. The release process would be like for the httpd.
We have core and we have core modules. The release depends
on all core modules, but you can build core without
modules. Take for example the httpd and mod_ssl.
mod_ssl depends on OpenSSL, but the httpd itself does not,
although its dependent on the mod_ssl, rely on mod_ssl.

The point is to have the modular build system, that
does not depend on protocol specific libs.

Regards,
Mladen.