commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [lang] VariableFormatter - pre 2.2
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 00:07:04 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Anyone know of any half-finished code in there at the moment?

I think I'm on record for saying that the VariableFormatter class
doesn't quite fit as is IMHO. But I've not spelt out why, so here goes...

At a minimum, I'd like to see MapVariableResolver packge scoped.

However, I thnk I'd rather see VariableResolver changed to be a more
general StrLookup class rather like StrMatcher. That way it could be
used equally as well independent of VariableFormatter.

public class StrLookup {
   String lookup(String key);

   // package scoped implementation for Map
}

You could envisage other (non [lang]) accessors such as OGNL, EL, XPath
or perhaps ones that accessed a List of strings by index.

The key point is that this shouldn't be limited to just
VariableFormatter in the same way that StrMatcher isn't limited to
StrTokenizer. Separation of Concerns.

Stephen