commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: svn commit: r418646 - /jakarta/commons/proper/math/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons/math/random/RandomDataTest.java
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 23:12:28 GMT
Martin van den Bemt wrote :

> I read somewhere that linux will speed up doing encryption when eg the
> keyboard is used (those tokens are used in the linux SecureRandom
> generator.

It is true when the generator is based on bytes read from the
/dev/random device, false when /dev/urandom device is used. The former
can block read access when the entropy pool gathering environmental
noise is empty. This pool is replenished when events caused by keyboard
use, mouse motion and interrupts from disk or other devices. This is the
price to pay for cryptographically secure randomness except if you
motherborad has some hardware-based random generator chip supported by
the kernel (I think there are some) ... However this is far beyond the
scope of this list.

Luc