commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [io] Regexp filter - help wanted
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:27:56 GMT
On 7/27/06, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> > The regexp file filter has been excluded from [io] releases as [io] is
> > JDK 1.2 compliant, see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-74.
> >
> > It would however be possible to use reflection to access the JDKs regexp
> > facility. Is there anyone, perhaps who is looking to contribute to
> > commons for the first time, who would be interested in seeing if this
> > approach is viable, and what performance penalty it carries?
> >
> > Obviously the reflection solution involves using Strings to find if the
> > java.util.regex.Pattern exists, and then using reflection to call its
> > methods.
>
> Actually this raises a different question IMO:
> How much real world is 1.2 compliance anymore?
>
> IMO we should raise the bar - for other components as well.

Agreed. Doing lots of work to keep on a 1.2 dependency isn't worth it.
I doubt that people who are on 1.2 JVMs (or even probably 1.3 JVMs)
are upgrading components or writing new code. Instead we should just
worry about 1.2 if we have to do a critical bugfix release of an old
version (very rare in Commons).

Moving from 1.4 to 1.5 will be a much bigger step due to the class
version change, so I can see that being a lot more complicated.

Hen