commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] VariableFormatter - pre 2.2
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:04:04 GMT
On 7/21/06, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > This is all that's left in 2.2 before an RC can be built.

> >> I think I'm on record for saying that the VariableFormatter class
> >> doesn't quite fit as is IMHO. But I've not spelt out why, so here goes...
> >>
> >> At a minimum, I'd like to see MapVariableResolver packge scoped.
> >
> > Reading the following in the threads, no one seems to be against
> > making MapVariableResolver package scoped.
> >
> > Personally I don't think we should have public nested classes,
> > especially if they're intended for extension. That might just be me
> > being a dumb user.
> >
> > VariableResolver is another public nested class (well interface). Any
> > reason to not have this be package scoped for the 2.2 release as well?
>
> If this interface was made package scope, it could not be implemented by
> client code. So the option of providing specialized variable resolver
> implementations (which I need for my purposes) would be lost. Or am I
> missing something?

I think that was definitely Stephen's aim.

Basically I want to get Lang 2.2 out and have this discussion be a
part of 2.3. Stephen's suggestion allows us to get the basic
VariableFormatter functionality that most people need (I think?) out
there and continue talking about the more powerful aspects for a later
release.

Hen