commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DbUtils] Generic BasicRowProcessor toBeanList
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:18:03 GMT
Not only do you lose compatibility you also ugly up the code with generics and introduce a
bunch of complexity.  I have heard from many dbutils users that they like the package because
it's simple and easy to use.  If people would like to use another library because dbutils
doesn't have generics, we're not stopping them.  Many of us enjoy how simple dbutils is to
use today.  I'm using it in Java 1.4 and 1.5 projects at the moment with no problems.

David

----- Original Message ----
From: Thomas Mueller <hypersql@gmx.net>
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:26:33 AM
Subject: Re: [DbUtils] Generic BasicRowProcessor toBeanList

> You would lose backwards compatibility with 1.3 and 1.4.

Sure, at least at compile time (I'm sure about runtime, as I said I'm not a generics expert).
The 'generic' version(s) could be in another package or class clearly marked as that. For
example

org.apache.commons.dbutils.generic.BasicRowProcessor
or
org.apache.commons.dbutils.GenericBasicRowProcessor

It looks a little verbose, and maybe somebody finds a better solution. But at some point you
have to make the switch to JDK 1.5. This here may not be the most important case, but you
have to start somewhere. Otherwise, people will use another library (= not use the commons
libraries) for JDK 1.5.

Thomas