commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc.maison...@free.fr
Subject [math] beware before adding Mantissa code to an experimental directory
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:54:15 GMT
Hello,

Following this week discussion about copyright issues in math code, I think two
more Mantissa classes should not be included as is to commons-math code. I
really did write them myself but took inspiration from existing code, not only
texbooks. The first class is the Gragg-Bulirsch-Stoer integrator which was
inspired from an implementation by Hairer and Wanner. The second class is the
highest level part of the Levenberg-Marquardt implementation which was inspired
from NETLIB code (is this acceptable for commons-math ?). The lowest level part,
on the other hand, which is the QR decomposition with columns reordering, is an
orginal implementation following a french textbook from the 80's.

For these two classes, I will see if I can provide completely original
implementations. I hope no other classes present the same problem, I will check
each one.

sorry for the inconvenience
Luc