commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: JIRA is b0rged for anonymous users
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:40:36 GMT
Hi Dennis,

Dennis Lundberg wrote on Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:44 PM:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> just a heads up, but it seems the JIRA is b0rged somehow
> for anonymous users. Just browse to a project like SANDBOX
> when you're not logged in and try to create an issue. JIRA
> presents you a combo box with a *very* limited list of
> available projects. This is quite surprising and I already
> recognized users that claim, they will not report any issue
> anymore, since they are not able to create a new one.
>>
>> - Jörg
>
> I think this is by design. I also believe Bugzilla works in
> the same way.
>
> Here's a snippet from ASF JIRA frontpage:
>
> "Welcome to Apache's JIRA issue tracker!
>
> Anyone is free to find issues. You must register and login if
> you want
> to create, comment, vote, or watch issues. Only developers can edit,
> prioritize, schedule and resolve issues."

The problem is the user experience. An anonymous user browsing e.g. SANDBOX can click "CREATE
NEW ISSUE" and JIRA offers then a list of unrelated projects. In Bugzilla you could enter
your bug report and you were requested to login committing the issue. But here the usder is
stuck and does not know, why he suddenly does not find the project any longer. Not a single
hint, that he must register.

- Jörg