commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Curdt" <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I wrote several methods for IOCommons FileUtil. How can I donate it to IOCommons?
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:37:04 GMT
> re:but AFAIK zip and jar share the same compression algorithm anyway.
>
> The algorithms are similar but not the same.

Educated me ...Jar*putStream extends Zip*putStream and I have never
come across a jar I could not unzip with the usual zip command.

> re:...and then add a methods for bzip2, compress and gzip, too? See where I
> am heading? Better let's have a CompressUtils in compress.
>
> Compress doesn't work with files while IO does. On the other hand IO doesn't
> work with compression while Compress does ;-)
> I think it would be good idea to add compress to IO :-)

It has been removed from there because it was mixing concerns IIRC.

Getting from File to FileInputStream is easy and no reason to add
compression algorithms to IO.

cheers
--
Torsten