commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Curdt" <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I wrote several methods for IOCommons FileUtil. How can I donate it to IOCommons?
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:37:18 GMT
> re: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/compress/
> Thanks for a link, but my code couldn't be applied to compress. Compress
> does nothing with jar.

Doesn't mean that could not be changed ;-)

...but AFAIK zip and jar share the same compression algorithm anyway.
So why the two methods? (Did I miss something?)

> re:IMO compression is beyond the scope of IO.
> Consider this example from
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kgh/archive/2005/11/my_favorite_dea.html

<snip/>

> To me apache commons is a set of projects that provide short cuts for common
> things.
> Of course we all like clean disgin, but I like "clean design" unless it
> doesn't make me to write 20 lines of code to simply zip or jar the folder
> (same goes for file reading).

I agree. All I am saying is that it should probably better go into the
compress component.

> IO Commons provides means to read file into byte array, why not to add a
> method to read a file or dir as compressed byte array too?

...and then add a methods for bzip2, compress and gzip, too? See where
I am heading? Better let's have a CompressUtils in compress.

WDYT?

cheers
--
Torsten