commons-dev mailing list archives

From "jerome lacoste" <jerome.laco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] state of DBCP
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 06:59:43 GMT
> On 6/21/06, jerome lacoste <jerome.lacoste@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've submitted a patch some days ago and am waiting for comments (DBCP-175).
> >
> > In the mean time, I've had a look at the status of DBCP. Some notes:
> >
> > - no release since 2004
> >
> > - there are 10+ issues marked UNRESOLVED but with a Resolved status in
> > Jira. Could be cleaned up.
> >
> > - althought I don't have many problems with DBCP myself, I've seen
> > issues of various types in Jira: NPEs, leaks, thread related issues,
> > class loading issues, equals()/hashcode() issues etc... Pretty scary
> > to me :)
> >
> > So I think it is time to decide what to do next...
> >
> > Should there be a 1.2.2 release? A 1.3? Who's involved today in DBCP ?
>
> I have been slowly plowing through the issues and have posted a
> release plan on the wiki here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/DBCP/1%2e2%2e2ReleasePlan

OK I am relieved :)

> > I can help triaging those issues, sending patches to fix some of them,
> > but I don't want to send patches that will stay in Jira for years.
> >
> Please, please keep the patches coming.  I am reviewing the ones you
> submitted and will update Jira / apply in the next day or two.  Any
> one else interested and knowledgeable of [dbcp] code base, pls chime
> in.  Also, pls update the Wiki page to reflect any opinions that you
> have on which bugs absolutely must get fixed in 1.2.2.

Your plan sounds very good. Only question is why not using Jira in the
first place to target issues?

DBCP-128 should probably be fixed later as it will probably require to
change the implementation of equals and hashcode. You never know what
this might break...

DBCP-68 was committed. See
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP-68#action_12411844

Cheers,