commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JIRA is b0rged for anonymous users
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:22:25 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Dennis Lundberg wrote on Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:44 PM:
>
>> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> just a heads up, but it seems the JIRA is b0rged somehow
>> for anonymous users. Just browse to a project like SANDBOX
>> when you're not logged in and try to create an issue. JIRA
>> presents you a combo box with a *very* limited list of
>> available projects. This is quite surprising and I already
>> recognized users that claim, they will not report any issue
>> anymore, since they are not able to create a new one.
>>> - Jörg
>> I think this is by design. I also believe Bugzilla works in
>> the same way.
>>
>> Here's a snippet from ASF JIRA frontpage:
>>
>> "Welcome to Apache's JIRA issue tracker!
>>
>> Anyone is free to find issues. You must register and login if
>> you want
>> to create, comment, vote, or watch issues. Only developers can edit,
>> prioritize, schedule and resolve issues."
>
> The problem is the user experience. An anonymous user browsing e.g. SANDBOX can click
"CREATE NEW ISSUE" and JIRA offers then a list of unrelated projects. In Bugzilla you could
enter your bug report and you were requested to login committing the issue. But here the usder
is stuck and does not know, why he suddenly does not find the project any longer. Not a single
hint, that he must register.

Aha, I misread your previous post. Now I found the correct link. It is
"CREATE NEW ISSUE" right below the ASF logo.

To me the problem is that some projects (well 6 of them anyway) seem to
allow anonymous posting of issues. This is inconsistent to users.

If we want users to log in before they post issues, and I think we do,
then the user who clicks on the link mentioned above should end up on a
page that tells the user to log in or create an account before they can
create an issue. I'm sure if/how this can be accomplished though.

Or we can do like Codehaus [1] does - they have removed the "CREATE NEW
ISSUE" link completely. It will appear on every project if you have
logged in.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

--
Dennis Lundberg