commons-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <b.unc...@gmx.net>
Subject [all] Compatibilty with different JDKs and JDK versions
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:47:29 GMT
Hello,

there were some questions for different components in the style "is xyz
compatible with JDK 1.x" in the last weeks.
I know that commons-logging did several tests and put some mentionable
work on JDK 1.2 compatibility.

This information seems important to me, there should be one distinct
place, where people can look that up.
A table with:
Component |  Sun JDK 1.2 | Sun JDK 1.3.1_xx | Sun JDK 1.4.0_xx | Sun JDK
1.4.1_xx | Sun JDK 1.4.2_xx | IBM JDK 1.4.2 Build xx | Sun JDK 1.5.0_xx
| Official Build was done with

should show what currently is tested. For each JDK release the test
should be done with the highest available JDK patch level, which should
be documented in the table.
To achieve this information each component should be build with the
corresponding JDK (source and target set to the corresponding Java version)
and all JUnit tests must be clean.

I think many components already test that, but there is no central
documentation, and the tests are not mandatory.
Especially for older JDK versions this information is important, maybe
JDK 1.5 causes problems.

What do you think?
@Release-/Buildmanagers: Which JDKs/versions did you test for which
component?