commons-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Grobmeier" <grobme...@possessed.de>
Subject Re: I wrote several methods for IOCommons FileUtil. How can I donate it to IOCommons?
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:05:40 GMT

+1 to put this in Compress. I really don't get the point why this should
be in IO. As Martin said, i see compress as specialized IO. For me it
would be also OK if IO would depend on compress.

in my latest draft is allready a CompressUtils class where it would fit
perfectly :-)

regards,
chris.

Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> re:but AFAIK zip and jar share the same compression algorithm anyway.
>>
>> The algorithms are similar but not the same.
>
> Educated me ...Jar*putStream extends Zip*putStream and I have never
> come across a jar I could not unzip with the usual zip command.
>
>> re:...and then add a methods for bzip2, compress and gzip, too? See
>> where I
>> am heading? Better let's have a CompressUtils in compress.
>>
>> Compress doesn't work with files while IO does. On the other hand IO
>> doesn't
>> work with compression while Compress does ;-)
>> I think it would be good idea to add compress to IO :-)
>
> It has been removed from there because it was mixing concerns IIRC.
>
> Getting from File to FileInputStream is easy and no reason to add
> compression algorithms to IO.
>
> cheers
> --
> Torsten

- --
Christian Grobmeier
Possessed Management
Hurlacher Str. 5 - 86853 Langerringen - Germany
E-Mail: grobmeier@possessed.de
Mobil: +(49)(0)175 57 66830
Fax: +(49) (0)8232 959119
Web: http://www.possessed.de