commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: Collections-events
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 22:16:12 GMT
Bryce L Nordgren wrote:
>>Commons-collections is too big. It was deliberately
>>broken out to make both parts managable.
>
>>This project did have quite an active life at first.
>>Where it floundered was that there were IIRC three
>>competing code implementations (not just designs). I
>>believe that all are currently in SVN. To revive this,
>>we would have to select one without excessive ego.
>
> I'm not sure I'm looking at the same package.  I see 25 classes, 30 tops.
> There doesn't seem to be any overlap (e.g. two concepts coded in competing
> ways).

See
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200306.mbox/%3c007801c32d17$3fdaafa0$083b29d9@oemcomputer%3e
for some discussion. There will be more before this, and a little after.

 > And when it's compiled, the jar is 35k.  (less than 10% of
> commons-collections, which weighs in at 500k--and commons-events depends on
> commons-collections to boot).
Yes its a small increase, but there seems to be a trend to favouring
smaller jar files, particularly as they can be released more frequently.

Stephen