commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:35:26 GMT
Brett, I did the test that you suggested.

1. Installed commons-lang 1.0.1 into my local repo with
groupId=org.apache.commons

mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.commons
-DartifactId=commons-lang -Dversion=1.0.1 -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/commons-lang-1.0.1.jar

2. Created Maven 2 projects a, b and c with the dependencies mentioned
below.

3. Installed projects a and b into my local repo
mvn install

4. packaged project c as a war
mvn package

The resulting war file includes both commons-lang-1.0.1.jar and
commons-lang-2.1.jar which was what you thought would happen.

So this is bad, I guess. Anyone who uses commons components transitively
in a Maven 2 environment are likely to be bitten by this. They must keep
the same groupId for all commons-lang dependencies, as an example, in
the entire chain of transitive dependencies. I.e. they can't mix
groupId=commons-lang and groupId=org.apache.commons. This can be a PITA
since some of the dependencies are most likely out of the projects own
control.

What do you suggest we do? Should we wait with this relocation until a
version of Maven 2 is released that can handle these kind of dependencies?

--
Dennis Lundberg