commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <>
Subject Re: [all] change group id? [WAS Re: [logging] RC on ibiblio ?]
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:35:26 GMT
Brett, I did the test that you suggested.

1. Installed commons-lang 1.0.1 into my local repo with

mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.commons
-DartifactId=commons-lang -Dversion=1.0.1 -Dpackaging=jar

2. Created Maven 2 projects a, b and c with the dependencies mentioned

3. Installed projects a and b into my local repo
mvn install

4. packaged project c as a war
mvn package

The resulting war file includes both commons-lang-1.0.1.jar and
commons-lang-2.1.jar which was what you thought would happen.

So this is bad, I guess. Anyone who uses commons components transitively
in a Maven 2 environment are likely to be bitten by this. They must keep
the same groupId for all commons-lang dependencies, as an example, in
the entire chain of transitive dependencies. I.e. they can't mix
groupId=commons-lang and groupId=org.apache.commons. This can be a PITA
since some of the dependencies are most likely out of the projects own

What do you suggest we do? Should we wait with this relocation until a
version of Maven 2 is released that can handle these kind of dependencies?

Dennis Lundberg

Brett Porter wrote:
> an extensive test should be something along the lines of:
> project A depends on commons-lang:commons-lang 2.1
> project B depends on o.a.c:commons-lang 1.0
> project C is a webapp that depends on A and B
> webapp should have only one commons-lang.
> You could do this with your own repository (and something completely
> artificial instead of commons-lang if it makes it easier).
> - Brett
> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Hi Brett
>> Sorry, I misunderstood you regarding when to do the testing. So, no I
>> haven't done the test, yet. Can you elaborate a bit more on what needs
>> to be tested? Perhaps you know of an artifact that has been relocated
>> that we can have a look at, to see how they have done.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message