commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release FileUpload 1.1.1-RC1
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:57:46 GMT
> On 6/2/06, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> > might

> > which
> > >
> > > This does work, though it means the changes report has In SVN in and
> > > not the date. Still, I can generate this to get that page and put it
> > > in later on the main build.
> > >
> > > Any objections to that?
> >
> > Yes its messy and liable to go wrong when you forget to do something
> > when cutting the actual release.
>

> Given that you're never going to know the actual release date until you're
> actually cutting the release, the date in the change log will _always_ have
> to be updated by the RM at that time. It wouldn't be any worse to have "In
> SVN" than "2006-05-??" (especially given that it's now June ;). I used to
> use "Pending" for the date value until I cut the release.
>
> And it seems to me that using "lastRelease" is always correct, so that seems
> like the right value to use. I just didn't know about it until Dennis
> mentioned it.

The problem is that at the moment of the release, lastRelease should
still mean the previous release but it doesn't. At that moment it
suddenly means that release and you get a really small changelog.

Easiest solution is for the release manager to change
project.properties to list the lastRelease date just prior to building
the release as Niall suggested.

(Well, easiest easiest would be to dump the report as too much trouble ;)  )

Hen